Sunday, 1 August 2010

Bye Bye Chopper

Its hard to believe that within seven days of our little dog Biddy passing away, poor old Chop' is now gone as well.
A few months ago I took Chopper to the vet as he was getting very slow and appeared to be in alot of pain when he moved. After xrays and scans and a rather large vet bill we were told Chopper had arthritis of the spine, which was also fussing together. His hip socket had also 'had it', all in all his life spent hunting had taken its toll on his body.
Chopper had been put into semi retirement when Cody brought him home about a year ago and he quickly went form being an outside hunting dog to a pampered, inside on the couch pet. Chop had the most beautiful nature, and eyes that you could not help but fall in love with.
Anyway, the vet recommended that Chopper be put to sleep as there was nothing at all that could be done for him, except to be kept on painkillers. So, me being me said I would try the painkiller option. The painkillers gave Chop a reasonable quality of life, until Friday when his back leg stopped working, but today both legs failed Chop. He was a pitiful sight tiring to walk, it really was so heartbreaking. I knew the kindest thing I could do for Chopper was to take him to the vet and do what maybe should have been done some time ago.


So tonight, Chopper lays buried on a nearby hillside beside Biddy. A hill side that was their favorite hunting ground, according to Cody, and we are left with a bank full of memories, empty food bowls and much sadness in our hearts.

We love you Chop.

May brighter times lay ahead!

10 comments:

Wishful Thinking said...

Oh goodness you guys have had a bad run haven't you. Losing pets is no fun.
Hugs R

Rachel said...

Sending big *hugs* to you and your family, I have tears in my eyes reading your post pets are such a loved part of the family and it is very hard to loose any member.
8Hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

Louise Williams said...

aww hon, what a rough couple of weeks for you :( We had a dog for 17 years and ended up having to have her put to sleep as she got really bad arthritis in her hips. In the end she would drag her leg and stopped being able to get up to go to the toilet so we had no choice. Heartbreaking decision, big hugs :(

Liddy said...

Oh Sonya what a horrible time you have had. I feel your pain, there is nothing worse than having to make that decision. Take comfort in the fact that they had a wonderful, loved life and now they are still together. And why do these things seem to happen when the weather is so miserable??? Hugs and take care of you.

Anonymous said...

So sorry that you have lost not one but two loved pets within a week of each other sending huge hugs your way
I know first hand how heartbreaking this is

Thinking of you
Bronwyn

KiwiMich said...

Sending big hugs to you Sonya. A very sad time for you and your family.

Leah said...

Oh Sonya! I am so sorry:( I couldn't believe it when I saw your post title....but, God knows when a tiny sparrow falls, so he knows about your losses too and cares. Big hugs and prayers to you....

Jane said...

So sorry Sonya that was so beautiful it breaks your heart to see them suffer the pair of them will be running wild and free of pain.Big Hugs to you and all your family

Rose said...

oh i am so sad for you. i pray that you are blessed with more dogs that will ease the hurt a bit and give you all years of joy :)

Lyn S said...

Oh Sonya, that is sad news especially happening so soon after losing Biddy. Our elderly dog has just had 2 mammary tumors removed -we were worried about her having surgery at her age, but she is recovering nicely.

Hugs to you, xxx Lyn

My Favorite Musuc

Playlist


Download this mp3 from Beemp3.com

My Scrapping

Here is my finished latest painting

Here is my finished latest painting
This one is a hit with all the males who have seen it. I must say that I did not really enjoy painting a truck and it will be a one off for sure! Uncle David is now the owner of this one. Next project on thepainting scene is going to be a fisherman- for my Uncle Graeme who is wanting me to paint him something. Really need to get onto this one!

Finished at last- I think

Finished at last- I think
At last I think I have pretty much finished this painting for my uncle. Do hope he likes it.

My waterlillies

My waterlillies
one of my recent paintings

Naked Lady

Naked Lady
One of my last years paintings

Aimee and Bob

Aimee and Bob
A painting I did a while back for my daughter

Click on our house to see a little of where we live.

Thank you

Just want to say thankyou to those of you who have been kind enough to take the time to leave a comment or sign my guest book. Always get a buzz out of knowing people have been here for a wee look! THANK YOU!!

Check out my talented nephew Tony...he's the cool dude singing!